First Church Celebrates 200+ Years of Ministry in Millville
It was in that year that the Methodists moved into their own building for the first time. Robert Jordan had started to erect a stone building on the southwest corner of Second and Smith Streets (where Trinity Church now stands) which was to be used for a tavern. Before he completed the building, it was sold at auction by the Sheriff and purchased by a man named Joshua Brick. Brick in turn sold it to the Methodists who made the necessary alterations to convert the building for use as a church.
In 1845 this structure was torn down and the stones used in the foundation of a new two story frame building. This became known as the First Methodist Episcopal Church and in 1853 it became a regular preaching charge of the New Jersey Conference with John W. McDougal as the pastor.
“Brick” Church was erected at the corner of Second and Pine Streets
In 1868 the present “Brick” Church was erected at the corner of Second and Pine Streets, and the congregation moved into its new home “with great rejoicing” as one of the old record book states. In 1910, an addition, known as The Temple, was added to meet the needs of the Sunday School.